when i was a kid, one of my favorite snacks was applesauce.
my mom would pack a single-serving size of applesauce in my lunchbox 2-3 times weekly
as an adult, i still enjoy applesauce just as much as i did hen i was a kid, however, i will not purchase pre-packaged apple sauce simply because there are preservatives and sugars added.
applesauce is very simple to make and can be made without pasteurization, yet in order to package and sell applesauce, companies are required to pasteurize the apples prior to packaging for preservation
i do notice that some recipes recommend heating your apples prior to blending and making the sauce, but i like to leave my apples raw (non-cooked) to maintain the vitamins and nutrients. why take a healthy snack and cook away the good stuff?
the recipe is simple:
Author: peace. love. quinoa
- 4-5 apples (choose sweet apples that are a red/green/yellow blend – my favorites include: fuji, honeycrisp, cripps pink, & gala)
- raw turbinado sugar or agave nectar (optional)
- lemon wedge
- Clean your apples!
- If you choose to peel the skins from your apples, now is the time to do it. I prefer to leave the skins on.
- Slice your apples in to wedges.
- Put the apple slices (just a few at a time) in to a blender or a food processor and process until the apples are saucy.
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon wedge in to your sauce
- Serve immediately or chill.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and turbinado sugar or agave nectar (if keeping the recipe raw) i enjoy using the turbinado sugar because it adds a little texture & crunch
You also have the option to introduce different fruits in to your sauce. This particular time, I introduced a pear in to my recipe. I’ve also used raspberries in my applesauce.
When adding another fruit in to your sauce, add no more than ⅓ the amount of that fruit and ⅔ apples. For my pear/applesauce, I used 4 apples and 1 pear.
because you are working with a raw product, you will want to be sure to consume your applesauce within a day or two of making it. remember, you are not using any preservatives!
Tagged with → applesauce • gluten-free • healthy • lunch • lunch box • raw • school • snack • vegan • vegetarian
high emotion, low intelligence Kale.