When my friend Amanda posted a recipe for Coconut Butter Stuffed Dates on her blog, I was floored – 2 ingredients of pure awesomeness. You see, I’d had a jar of coconut butter hanging around for a while, but I wasn’t really sure what to do with it. This simple recipe changed my world – opened my mind up to new opportunities.
My boyfriend is always thinking outside the box when it comes to food & recipes. For instance, he thought we should add chocolate chips to that stuffed-date recipe, he thinks chocolate chips should be added to EVERYTHING (including butter toffee cookies). He’s the one who recommend I use pear with lovage, and this morning he told me to dip my banana in my orange juice. Sometimes he hits the nail on the head, and sometimes he just makes me laugh.
Him and I started brainstorming different ways to use coconut butter (new obsession!) and we came up with this awesome recipe that perfectly complimented some carrot cake oatmeal cookies that I made (recipe coming soon!)
I made a larger batch of this frosting than necessary (don’t judge me) because it’s good for SO MANY THINGS!
homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies
Atop a Carrot Cake
or, as a finger lick
(you know, dip your finger in, lick the frosting off)
- 6 oz. vegan cream cheese (I like Trader Joe’s brand)
- 2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coconut butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar
- With a hand mixer, blend the cream cheese, coconut butter, and vanilla extract together.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, about ⅓ cup at a time.
- Whip together until the frosting has reached the desired consistency.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.