I recently came across this recipe involving grapefruits and when I found these large, beautiful, pink grapefruits at the local market, I knew they’d be perfect for it.
If you want to talk quick and simple, let’s talk about this sweet & tangy recipe that only requires 2 ingredients and 10 minutes of your time.
If you want to talk about sweet satisfaction on a summer night, I will tell you how much I enjoyed eating this brûléed grapefruit on the outdoor patio for an afternoon snack.
And you know what I just love about this recipe?? It offers an alternative way to sweeten a tart grapefruit. I cringe when I see people sprinkle sugar on fruits! Sugar does nothing to enhance the natural essence of fruits – it seems to disguise the flavor! Adding a small amount of preserves (I understand the sugar content) seems to bring life to the grapefruit and enhance the natural flavor – the grapefruit still tastes like grapefruit (with a hint of orange), not like sugar.
- 3 Ruby Red grapefruits
- 3 tablespoons Orange Marmalade*
- Adjust an oven rack to the top position and preheat the broiler on high.
- Slice a thin piece off each end of the grapefruit, then halve the grapefruits crosswise. Each half should be able to stand upright.
- Use a pairing knife or a grapefruit spoon to slice between the segments and the membrane.
- Brush one tablespoon of Orange Marmalade over the surface of each grapefruit.
- On an aluminum-foil-lined baking sheet, broil the grapefruits until they begin to caramelize, about 8-9 minutes. (watch the grapefruit closely)
- Remove the grapefruit from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- *Choose a flavor of preserves that best suits your taste. Other choice flavors might be apricot, peach, or mandarin.