My birthday has come and gone which means that fall is officially here. This time of year is bittersweet for me – I love the fall and all of the beautiful colors that come along with it but I’m never quite ready to let go of summer. Last week, we had 85 degree weather here in Colorado but today I’m snuggled under a blanket because I can’t quite seem to warm up. The weaner has definitely changed over the last 24 hours or so.
Here in Colorado, everyone talks about getting up to the mountains in September and early October to see the leaves change. I’ve gotten up there twice – it was right as the leaves were changing, and everyone is right – it’s beautiful… quite the sight to see.
Everyone is talking about pumpkin too, so I went to Trader Joe’s and bought almost every single limited-edition pumpkin item they had in the store. I’ve jumped on the bandwagon! During that trip, I picked up some Delicata Squash because I’d never had it before. I think…… it’s in the running to become my new favorite squash. I’m liking it even better than I like butternut squash! Cut in half length-wise, I roasted it in the oven for 15ish minutes and it was perfectly tender and sweet – it ALMOST doesn’t even need any seasonings (I did add one secret ingredient – find it in the recipe below)
Because I just recently started eating squash on a regular basis, I looked to Amanda Paa’s book, Smitten With Squash for recipe inspiration and here is what I found: a Warm Delicata and Kale Jewel Salad recipe, a recipe for Brown Butter Delicata Donuts, and a Sweet Delicata Pie with Pecan Praline recipe. Uhm, YUM. I can hardly wait to try these recipes!
Meanwhile, my super simple Roasted Delicata Squash recipe with a secret ingredient allows for a tasty main dish and/or side that’s quick to prepare.
- 2 - 3 Delicata Squash *see recipe note
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil per squash
- a few pinches of sea salt
- a few pinches of black pepper
- a few pinches of nutmeg (secret ingredient!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut each squash in half, length-wish. (this may require a big knife and a strong arm - BE CAREFUL!)
- De-seed the squash. **see recipe note
- Add a half-teaspoon of olive oil to each squash half, use a spoon to spread the olive oil and coat the inside of the squash.
- Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper, sea salt, and nutmeg to each squash halve.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes, use a fork to check tenderness.
- Allow the squash to cool for a few minutes before serving.
**You can save the seeds for roasting or pitch them.
I may get off the couch for a few minutes tonight to roast up some squash…. but I’ll probably take my blankie with me. (brrrrr it’s chilly here!!)