The people of Denver rock my world. They are active and healthy and they eat differently than people do in the midwest. I talked with a guy who cooks his quinoa in stewed tomatoes and adds a variety of different veggies (oh, and a secret ingredient he claims) which gave me the inspiration for this quinoa dish. I have a secret ingredient too, red wine. But I think the biggest secret, the one that sets this recipe apart from others is cooking the quinoa in the stewed tomatoes.
Stewed Tomatoes with Kale & Quinoa
Author: peace. love. quinoa
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 handfuls of kale, de-stemmed & roughly chopped
- ⅔ cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- In a food processor (or a blender), pulse the chopped tomatoes until they are a a liquid consistency (similar to salsa).
- In a large pot, stew the tomatoes for 5 minutes and then add the wine. Put on low heat and continue stewing uncovered.
- In a separate pan, sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes and then add them to the stewed tomatoes.
- Add cinnamon, cumin, agave nectar, salt, & pepper to the mixture.
- Add the quinoa to the mixture and turn up the heat until the mixture to comes to a boil and then turn the heat down and cover the pot. Simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the quinoa is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir the kale into the mixture and allow it to wilt down for 2-3 minutes.
I was craving something hearty and savory this morning so I made this dish for breakfast But I’d eat it for lunch too… and then again for dinner. No matter what time of day, this dish is sure to offer warmth and comfort on a chilly autumn day.
Tagged with → autumn • comfort food • Cook • cookinghome • Denver • fall • food • garden recipes • gluten-free • quinoa • recipe • soups • soups & stews • stew & chili • vegan
Boulder Eats: Leaf VegetarianDoggy-approved Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Scooby Snacks