I got a hold of some of my late grandma’s recipe cards a few months ago and I sifted through them to decide which ones I wanted to make an attempt at re-creating.
Finally! I got to make one of the recipes (and it turned out to be a huge success)!
If you look closely at this recipe card here, you can see that grandma labeled this recipe “good”… I would label it ‘very good”. Also noted is that she originally heard this recipe on the radio – WADM radio, it looks like. ((could you IMAGINE hearing a recipe on the radio?!?!)) Unfortunately, there was no date on this recipe – I can only imagine how long ago she wrote out this recipe card.
I love these cookies for this time of year A. because it is apple season and apples are so darn good right now and B. because they are fragrant and comforting.
Now I did not follow grandma’s recipe to a T. I made a few substitutions to make this recipe vegan, more healthy, and all-around more tasty. I took out the egg and replaced it with a flax egg (I learned how to make a flax egg from The Post Punk Kitchen), I replaced the white flour with whole wheat flour (could you possibly use gluten-free flour??), I used Earth Balance instead of butter or traditional margarine, and I used raw turbinado sugar and coconut sugar instead of white sugar and brown sugar…. plus, I used homemade applesauce and homemade apple butter.
Applesauce Drop Cookies
Author: peace. love. quinoa
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup Earth Balance vegan butter, softened
- ½ cup raw turbinado sugar
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 flax egg* or egg
- 1 cup applesauce** and/or apple butter OR 3-4 apples
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips OR raisins (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend together the sugar and butter then combine this mixture with the flour mixture.
- Add the egg or flax egg, applesauce, rolled oats, nuts, chocolate chips and/or raisins.
*To make a flax egg, combine 2½ tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. This mixture will replace one egg.
What I like most about these cookies is how moist and chewy they are, I really don’t enjoy dry, crunchy cookies. Thanks Grandma for the awesome recipe!
Tagged with → Apple • applesauce • cookie • dessert • food • healthy • Home • recipe • sweet • vegan • vegetarian
Breakfast Quinoa with Fruit & Almonds Pumpkin Pie Yogurt Parfait