I decided to grow chard in the garden this year even though I’d never eaten it and knew next-to-nothing about it. When it was time to harvest, I wasn’t even sure what to do with it. I sautéed the leafy portion and served it as a side dish with a dinner – it was ok. I KNEW the leafy portion was edible but I wanted to give the beautiful, colored stems a chance as well. After googling around, I found a recipe for Pickled Chard Stems on my friend Amanda’s blog, Heartbeet Kitchen. (great minds think alike!) I used Amanda’s recipe (altered slightly) and was very impressed with the turnout – holy cow these pickled chard seems are YUMMY! Originally, I was skeptical about my “pickling” abilities so thank goodness I’ve overcome that fear! I cross my fingers that I can grow another bunch of chard before the end of season…. I want another jar of these jewel toned pickled gems.
- one large bunch of rainbow chard stems, cleaned and cut to fit into mason jar, about ¾ inch from the lip
- ¾ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- Put the peppercorns, mustard seeds, and garlic tin the mason jar.
- Pack chard stems into the jar.
- Bring vinegars, sugar, and salt to a boil in a small saucepan until sugar and salt is dissolved then pour over the chard stems.
- Let sit and cool before putting the lid on and refrigerate.
- Allow the chard to pickle for about 2 days prior to eating.
So, I took my Pickled Chard Stems to the mountains and enjoyed them during a hiking/climbing trip. My friends told me I smelled like vinegar, but it didn’t matter because here in Colorado we carry wet wipes in our packs.
(you never know when you may need a wet wipe in the mountains)
And anyway, shame on my friends for turning me down when I offered them a shot at what could have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity at a pickled chard stem straight from my garden. Psh, their loss.
Thanks Amanda for the awesome recipe!! I LOVED!!