I’m always on the lookout for Bananas Foster – why is it SO hard to find a restaurant that serves it? Don’t say that’s it’s hard to find, because IT IS. It’s just not a dessert that is commonly found on the menu.
I have made Bananas Foster at home several times now, and I have made two (failed) attempts at making it vegan. There is only one ingredient that needs to be substituted from a traditional recipe to veganize this dish and that is butter. Now, I’ve tried using Earth Balance instead of butter TWICE and it just doesn’t blend with the brown sugar and carmelize like real butter does. In fact, the Earth Balance just gets oily. I don;t know about you, but I don’t want my Bananas Foster to be “oily”.
I have seen several bloggers recipes for “vegan” Bananas Foster but I have a feeling that their BF didn’t turn out any better than mine…. so I have to assume they ignored this little detail and went ahead and posted the recipe. Although, I could be wrong?
I wasn’t actually going to write this post because the whole concept of “vegan” Bananas Foster didn’t work out the way I wanted it to HOWEVER the “Bananas Foster Oatmeal” concept ROCKS MY WORLD!!!
I’ve come to terms with the fact that if I want to enjoy Bananas Foster Oatmeal, it’s not going to be vegan and I’m perfectly happy with that. I’m not going to give up on it, it’s just too yummy to say no to.
I share this recipe because I’m not selfish and I shouldn’t be the only one enjoying it, you should be enjoying it as well….. But I need you to help me decide. Is it a dessert or a breakfast dish? I’ve made it as both…. NOTHING warms the soul quite like it…..*smiles*
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups almond milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup banana liqueur
- ¼ cup dark rum
- 4-5 bananas, sliced
- In a medium-sized pot, bring the water and almond milk to a boil.
- Add the oats, and bring those to a boil.
- Simmer, uncovered on low heat for about 30 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- Melt the butter in a skillet.
- Once the butter is melted, add the brown sugar and spices. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the bananas and banana liqueur.
- When the bananas begin to soften, slowly and carefully add the rum.
- In single servings, top the oatmeal with the bananas foster and serve immediately.