My mother-in-law has a big book of recipes that she has accumulated over the years, while planning for a graduation party, she pulled this recipe out and decided to make it. She kept telling me how delicious it was and encouraged me to try it but for some reason I wasn’t in the mood, I don’t always love chickpeas. I guess I have to be in the mood for them. I didn’t try this salad until the day after the party and I fell in love with it! Chickpeas don’t have a lot of flavor, but this combination of ingredients packs a punch of flavor with every bite.
This salad keeps well in the refrigerator, I find that it gets better and better the longer that it marinates. Yum.
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 25 large basil leaves (we pulled them out of the garden), chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp raw honey
- pinch of sea salt
- Toss all the ingredients together and chill for at least 1 hour, allowing all the flavors to merge.
- Serve chilled or at room temp.